Beach Soccer was launched in Ghana in 2009. Since its launch it has made a lot of strides.
Sportsworldghana.com today brings to you ten(10) things that you probably did not know about Beach Soccer Ghana.
1. Beach was launched in Ghana in 2009 by ace broadcaster Yaw Ampofo Ankrah and his colleague Albert Frimpong.
2. Two years after the launch of the discipline, a league was organized. The first of its kind on the Africa continent. Initially the league had only six teams but the number increased to ten a season after.
3. Sunset Sports are the most successful team in Beach Soccer history with three league titles. Havedzi Warriors have won it once.
4. The body overseeing Beach Soccer in Ghana is the Ghana Beach Soccer Association(GBSA) who are affiliated to the Ghana Football Association(GFA)
5. Yaw Ampofo Ankrah is the president of GBSA. He is currently serving his 2nd term which is due to expire in November.
6. The national Beach Soccer team “The Black Sharks was formed in 2013.
7. The Black Sharks are currently ranked 7th on continent but 47th worldwide.
8. Michael Sema is the skipper of the Sharks. Harold Acquaye, a member of the team is currently the holder of the goalking award on the continent.
9. Cal Bank has been the major sponsor of Beach Soccer in Ghana. As part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
10. Laboma Beach Resort. A beach resort in La, a surbub of Accra is the hub of Beach Soccer in Ghana.