GPL Report: Liberty Stun Inter Allies with Late Goals


Two goals in the final 10 minutes of the game ensured that Liberty Professionals picked up all three point against a spirited Inter Allies at the Carl Reindorf Park in Dansoman on Sunday afternoon. 

An 82nd minute header from substitute Bernard Arthur followed by a sweet volley from midfield mystro Gerald Arkson a minute later gave the Scientific Soccer lads their first win of the 2016/17 Ghana Premier League campaign.

After a disappointing opening day defeat away at Kotoko last week, the Dansoman based side went into the game against Inter Allies with a point to prove.

The home side dominated the opening exchanges but it was  the Cantonment side that created the first chance of the match when Ropapa Mensah beat the offside trap only to direct his close range shot wide in the 7th minutes.

Liberty took control of the midfield afterwards and managed to created few opportunities but failed to beat Allies keeper Kwame Baah on a number of occasions.

However, the Inter Allies goalkeeper had to be replaced with 10 minutes to go into the half time break when he collided with an on rushing Liberty Attacker Benjamin Eshun following a corner kick.

His place was taken by highly experienced and former Liberty gloves man Kotei Blankson.

The First half ended with both sides struggling to get the better of the opponent. Inter Allies went into the break the happier of the two teams.

The second half begun in similar fashion to the first with both sides laboring to dominate the midfield areas.

Liberty Professionals, who were missing the service of Tamimu Muntari on the right flank opted to play Gerald Arkson in the wide area but his lack of pace hampered allowed Inter Allies to cover on time each time the Scientific Soccer lads are on the attack.

Head Coach Ignatius then decided to play his cards by replacing experienced striker Ernest Papa Arko with Bernard Arthur and youngster Brite Andoh making way for former Heart of Lions man Prosper Avor.

Those two substitutions by the Liberty technical team had a huge impact on the game allowing Liberty to mount more pressure on the Allies goal.

The consistent Pressure soon resulted into a goal the subs combined brilliantly to give the home side the lead in the 82nd minute.

Avor received a bill from Arkson [ who was moved back into midfield following the substations] and sent in an out-swinging cross to find substitute striker Bernard Arthur who headed the ball pass the Allies keeper Blankson to put Liberty 1 up.

Just a minute after, Gerald Arkson pounced onto a lose ball from about  25-yards to hit a sweet volley into the top right corner of the post to double their lead.

Allies tried to fight back but it proved too late as Liberty, with determination ensured that they saw the game off for their first win of the season.

About Author

Leave A Reply