Karim Benzema is now the sixth top scorer in the history of the France team. Thanks to his achievement against Belgium (3-2), the Real Madrid striker has 32 international goals. “Zizou” had put 31 between 1994 and 2006.
He is doing better than his former coach. Karim Benzema climbed ahead of Zinedine Zidane in the ranking of the top scorers in the history of the France team. He grabbed 6th place, scoring his 32nd international goal in the Blues’ 3-2 victory over Belgium on Thursday in Turin in the semifinals of the League of Nations.
The 33-year-old striker, who has 91 caps, is getting closer to the top 5 and David Trezeguet (34 goals). As for Zinedine Zidane , now 7th, his record shows 31 goals, scored from 1994 to 2006.
Five goals since his return
Since his surprise return for Euro 2021, Karim Benzema has scored five times. Before shining against the Red Devils, the Real Madrid striker distinguished himself during the European Championship with two brims: the first against Portugal (2-2) in the group stage, the second during the elimination on penalties against Switzerland (3-3).
He is still a long way from Thierry Henry , record holder with 51 goals, five more than Olivier Giroud , left out by coach Didier Deschamps since the start of the school year. Another player still active, Antoine Griezmann has 41 goals for the French team. It is as much as Michel Platini, the 3rd best scorer in history.
The ranking of the best scorers in the history of the French team
1. Thierry Henry: 51 goals, from 1997 to 2010
2. Olivier Giroud: 46 goals, since 2011
3. Michel Platini: 41 goals, from 1976 to 1986
3. Antoine Griezmann: 41 goals since 2014
5. David Trezeguet: 34 goals, from 1998 to 2008
6. Karim Benzema: 32 goals, since 2007
7. Zinédine Zidane: 31 goals, from 1994 to 2006
8. Just Fontaine: 30 goals, from 1953 to 1960
8. Jean-Pierre Papin: 30 goals, from 1986 to 1994
10. Youri Djorkaeff: 28 goals, from 1994 to 2002.