Henry Asante Twum- Communications Director for the country’s football governing body has revealed that Charles Akonnor submitted names of players to be invited for Ghana’s doubleheader against Zimbabwe next month.
According to the him, the former Ghana captain submitted the list just a day before he was fired.
Akonnor was sacked last week after the Black Stars lost to South Africa in their second Group G game of the 2022 Fifa World Cup qualifiers at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg.
Reports engulfed the local media on Wednesday 22nd September, 2021, that that foreign-based players have been invited for the game against Zimbabwe despite the team without a head coach.
Speaking on Citi TV, Henry Asante stated that the players were handed a call up by Akonnor before he was sacked on September 14.
“What happens is that 3 weeks before every game the coach submits his list,” he said.
He then added regardless of who is hired it is likely that this squad will be used by the next coach
“CK submitted his squad on Sunday and he was fired on Monday, so as we speak there is a squad in mind,” he said.
Ghana currently sit 3rd with three points after two games played.
Meanwhile, Serbian tactician Milovan Rajevac has arrived in Ghana to take charge of the Black Stars for a second spell.
It is believed that the 68-year-old’s first game with the team will be against Zimbabwe on October 9.