In exceptional circumstances, exceptional provisions. For the first time in its history, started in 1956, the France Football Ballon d’Or will not be awarded in 2020, owing to insufficient fair conditions.
Messi and Rapinoe (as well as De Ligt and Alisson, winners of the Kopa and Yachine Trophies) will have to wait a year. The winners of the latest edition of the BO will not have successors at the end of the year. Because there will be no Ballon d’Or 2020 edition.
But Why? France Football magazine answers below:
• Because such a singular year cannot – and should not – be treated as an ordinary year. When in doubt, it is better to abstain than to persist.
• Because the Ballon d’Or trophy conveys values other – such as exemplarity, solidarity and responsibility – than sporting excellence alone.
• Because the fairness that prevails for this honorary title could not be preserved, in particular at the statistical level and also in the preparation since all the aspirants to the award could not be housed in the same boat, some having seen their season cut radically , others not. So how do you compare the incomparable?
• Because we did not wish to affix an indelible asterisk to the prize list in the style of “trophy won in exceptional circumstances due to the health crisis of the Covid-19”. We will always prefer a small sprain (to our history) to a large scar. It was the first time since 1956 that the Ballon d’Or had taken a break. The parenthesis does not enchant us but seems to us the most responsible and logical. Protecting the credibility and legitimacy of such an award also means ensuring its flawlessness over time.
• Because only two months (January and February), of the eleven generally required to form an opinion and decide between the best, it is far too little to gauge and judge, given that the other matches were then – or will take place – then in other conditions and formats (in camera, five replacements, European Final 8 in a single match) too far from the usual panorama. We cannot bring ourselves to rely on crippled seasons, with so many special arrangements, to elect the best. The best of what, by the way? It would not be worthy of our history.
• Because of our approximately 220 jurors (men and women combined) spread around the world, some may have been distracted or diverted from their observation mission due to other priorities and emergencies to manage.
• Because the history of soundtrack is too precious to take the risk of damaging it with a wobbly exercise. In these turbulent times, taking a break is a luxury and an invaluable necessity. So that football, as a whole, regains momentum and momentum, passion and emotion. Strongly that the balloon gilds .