• About Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Write for us
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
Monday, February 16, 2026
  • Login
SportsWorldGhana
  • Home
  • Ghana
    • Football
      • Division One League
      • FA Cup
      • Women League
    • Boxing
    • Other Sports
  • GPL
  • National Teams
    • Black Stars
    • Black Queens
    • Black Meteors
    • Black Satellites
    • Black Maidens
    • Black Starlets
    • Black Princesses
  • Africa
  • Europe
    • Players In Europe
    • UEFA
  • Betting
  • America
    • Major League Soccer
    • United Soccer League
    • Players In America
  • Players Abroad
  • Transfers
  • Live
    • Live Scores
    • Get Live Video Scores
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Ghana
    • Football
      • Division One League
      • FA Cup
      • Women League
    • Boxing
    • Other Sports
  • GPL
  • National Teams
    • Black Stars
    • Black Queens
    • Black Meteors
    • Black Satellites
    • Black Maidens
    • Black Starlets
    • Black Princesses
  • Africa
  • Europe
    • Players In Europe
    • UEFA
  • Betting
  • America
    • Major League Soccer
    • United Soccer League
    • Players In America
  • Players Abroad
  • Transfers
  • Live
    • Live Scores
    • Get Live Video Scores
No Result
View All Result
SportsWorldGhana
No Result
View All Result
Home Africa

FIFA investigating claims Zambia coach rubbed female player’s breasts at Women’s World Cup

Nana Agyemang by Nana Agyemang
August 5, 2023
in Africa, Football, World Sports
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on Twitter

Zambia’s coach, Bruce Mwape, has been accused of rubbing his hands over the chest of one of his players two days before his country’s historic victory over Costa Rica in their final match at the Women’s World Cup.

Fifa has confirmed it received an official complaint about the alleged incident after Zambia claimed their first win at a World Cup on Monday in New Zealand. Before the tournament the Guardian revealed Mwape was the subject of an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct.

According to a source close to the squad, several players saw Mwape rubbing his hands over the chest of one of their teammates last Friday after training. “It’s not appropriate for a coach to be touching a player’s breasts,” said the source.

Witnesses are understood to have discussed reporting the incident immediately but decided to wait until after their campaign had been completed over fears that they would not be selected for unsettling the team. Zambia had already been eliminated after 5-0 defeats by Spain and Japan but finished third in the group after the 3-1 victory over Costa Rica.

It is understood the allegation against Mwape was reported to a Fifa delegate who has been with the squad throughout their stay in New Zealand. The Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) president, Andrew Kamanga, is believed to be aware of the incident.

A Fifa spokesperson said: “Fifa takes any allegation of misconduct extremely seriously and has a clear process in place for anyone in football who wants to report an incident. We can confirm that a complaint has been received in relation to the Zambian women’s national team and this is currently being investigated. We cannot provide further details regarding an ongoing investigation for obvious confidentiality reasons.

“Anyone who wishes to report allegations or information related to abuse in football can do so via Fifa’s confidential reporting platform, with all information that is submitted to Fifa handled in the strictest of confidence. In addition, Fifa offers support and assistance to ensure the safety of those who report a safeguarding issue, including witnesses who come forward and give testimony in Fifa judicial cases. Where guilt is established, Fifa takes the strongest possible sanctions, including removing people from the game for life. Our track record demonstrates this.”

The FAZ and Mwape did not respond to the Guardian’s questions but in a statement on Friday the FAZ’s general secretary, Reuben Kamanga, said: “We wish to state the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) has not received any such complaint from any of the players or officials in the delegation that travelled to the World Cup. It has therefore come as a surprise for us to hear of such alleged misconduct by the coach as reported in the said online publication.

“As a matter of fact, all the training sessions for the Copper Queens were filmed by the FAZ media team and offers no such footage as envisioned by The Guardian. Additionally, a Fifa film crew attached to the Zambian team at the World Cup was present at all training sessions.”

He added: “We however wish to reassure the public that FAZ maintains the highest standards of integrity and transparency and always demands unwavering ethical conduct of the players and officials on and off the field of play. We therefore would not hesitate to take disciplinary measures and act on any misconduct once we are in receipt of an official complaint or when presented with evidence pertaining to an alleged incident.”

Mwape was appointed by Zambia in May 2018 and helped them qualify for the World Cup for the first time. The FAZ said in September 2022 that it had referred an investigation into allegations of sexual abuse in the women’s game to Fifa. Mwape and the under-17s coach Kaluba Kangwa are understood to have been among the FAZ employees who were investigated. Kangwa has left his post despite no official announcement from the FAZ.

“If he [Mwape] wants to sleep with someone, you have to say yes,” one player who did not want to be named told the Guardian last month. “It’s normal that the coach sleeps with the players in our team.”

A Fifa spokesperson told the Guardian last year that it was aware of the accusations against Mwape and has been in touch with the FAZ over the case but could not comment on ongoing investigations.

Mwape has previously denied the accusations. “It has taken about a year now,” he said in New Zealand before Zambia’s first game. “You are still talking about the same allegations. As far as I’m concerned they are fake allegations.”

He was questioned about the allegations last week before Zambia’s second game but a Fifa media officer asked journalists to restrict their questions “to the football and to the tournament only”. Mwape went on to say that “the truth of the matter should actually come out”.

It is also understood that most of Zambia’s players and some members of staff have not been paid since competing at the Tokyo Olympics two years ago despite receiving assurances from the country’s president, Hakainde Hichilema, before the tournament. Some are believed to be owed as much as $60,000 (about £47,000), including a $5,000 win bonus for beating Costa Rica.

Tags: Bruce MwapeZambia
SendShareTweet
Previous Post

EXCLUSIVE: Ghanaian defender Isaac Amoah joins Spanish side SD Tarazona after leaving Real Valladolid

Next Post

Video: Abdul Aziz Nurudeen makes triumphant return to Hearts of Oak squad for pre-season training after long Injury absence

Nana Agyemang

Nana Agyemang

RELATED POSTS

Football

Ghana defender Jonas Adjetey makes Bundesliga debut in thrilling draw at RB Leipzig

Football

Benjamin Asare’s Man of the Match prize sparks debate among fans

Football

“Any team in top five can win the league” – Benjamin Asare urges consistency after Kotoko win

Football

“The boys did their best” – Kotoko coach Prince Owusu after Hearts defeat

Next Post

Video: Abdul Aziz Nurudeen makes triumphant return to Hearts of Oak squad for pre-season training after long Injury absence

TOP STORIES

Didi Dramani delighted as 10-Man Hearts of Oak edge Kotoko in Kumasi

Ghana forward Antoine Semenyo crowned Premier League Player of the Week after Man City heroics

Ghana Premier League: Kotoko 0 – 1 Hearts – 10-man Phobians pip Porcupines

Ghanaian forward Prince Junior Amoako fires Nordsjaelland to victory over Copenhagen

LATEST TRENDING

Manuel Mantey earns special recognition for impressive season

Salim Adams honoured with Player of the Month Award

Issahaku Yakubu ready shine at Al-Ahli Tripoli

Seth Kwadwo fires warning ahead of Super Clash

GO BACK IN TIME AND READ FROM...

  • Africa
  • America
  • Major League Soccer
  • United Soccer League
  • Asia
  • Betting
  • Biographies
  • CAF
  • AFCON
  • CHAN
  • CAF Champions League
  • CAF Confederation Cup
  • Colts Football
  • Ghana
  • National Teams
  • Black Galaxies
  • Black Maidens
  • Black Meteors
  • Black Princesses
  • Black Queens
  • Black Satellites
  • Black Starlets
  • Black Stars
  • Women’s League
  • Ghana U-19 Boys
  • UEFA
  • Champions League
  • Europa League
  • Conference League
  • English Premier League
  • French Ligue 1
  • German Bundesliga
  • Spanish La Liga
  • Italian Seria A
  • Europe
  • Players Abroad
  • Players In Europe
  • Players In America
  • Editors Pick
  • Other Sports
  • World Sports
  • FIFA World Cup
  • FIFA World Cup Qualifiers
  • Ghana Football Association
  • GHALCA
  • Asante Kokoto
  • Accra Hearts of Oak
  • FIFA

Follow Us

  • About Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Write for us
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy

©2013-2026 | All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Ghana
    • Football
      • Division One League
      • FA Cup
      • Women League
    • Boxing
    • Other Sports
  • GPL
  • National Teams
    • Black Stars
    • Black Queens
    • Black Meteors
    • Black Satellites
    • Black Maidens
    • Black Starlets
    • Black Princesses
  • Africa
  • Europe
    • Players In Europe
    • UEFA
  • Betting
  • America
    • Major League Soccer
    • United Soccer League
    • Players In America
  • Players Abroad
  • Transfers
  • Live
    • Live Scores
    • Get Live Video Scores

©2013-2026 | All rights reserved

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.